The NPQ kicks off the 2021-22 season of our Redo the economy series in Indian country. In partnership with the First Nations Development Institute (âFirst Nationsâ), we bring three Indigenous economic justice leaders to speak about their work and the challenges they face in a discussion format. Our panelists are:
Heather Fleming (Navajo) is Executive Director of Change Labs, the only business incubator and accelerator in Navajo territory. Fleming works with Hopi and Navajo (DinÃ©) citizens to create a business ecosystem favorable to Indigenous entrepreneurs.
Jaime Gloshay (Navajo / White Mountain Apache / Kiowa) is Co-Director of Construction and Impact at Native Women Lead, a group that supports and invests in Indigenous women in business.
Lakota Vogel (Cheyenne River Sioux) is CEO of Four Bands Community Loan Fund, a community development finance institution (CDFI) in South Dakota. The CDFI she heads is redesigning loans to allow indigenous residents to build homes on trust land.
This webinar explores:
- What does economic justice look like in the Indian country? How do Aboriginal economic values ââdiffer from those generally adopted in American discourse?
- How does current colonialism limit economic development? What levers do indigenous leaders use to build self-sufficiency and economic sovereignty?
- What are some of the key elements of an Indigenous economic development ecosystem? How do we go about filling the gaps that exist?
- What are the main examples of successful Aboriginal businesses?
- What are the 5Cs of credit? Why does the traditional credit system fail to meet the needs of indigenous communities? What might an alternative look like?
- What will it take to put the trust lands at the service of Native Americans? Why are current remedies such as âloan guaranteesâ inadequate?
- What steps can nonprofits and philanthropy take to support Indigenous leaders?
Heather Fleming, “Helping Indigenous Business Owners Thrive: How to Create a Supportive Ecosystem,” NPQ, September 29, 2021.
Raymond Foxworth, “The ‘Long Awaiting’ â Eleving Up Native Voices for Economic Justice,” NPQ, September 15, 2021.
Jaime Gloshay and Vanessa Roanhorse, “Going beyond the 5 Cs of loans: a new credit model for the Indian country”, NPQ, October 6, 2021.
Nikki Pieratos and Krystal Two Bulls, “Land Back: A Necessary Act of Reparations”, NPQ, October 11, 2021.
A-dae Romero Briones, “Regeneration from the Beginning”, NPQ, October 13, 2020.
Lakota Vogel, “Rewriting the Rules: Putting Land in Trust at the Service of Native Americans,” NPQ, September 22, 2021.